Remember to Take Advantage of 2016 Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency

Individuals purchasing qualifying Madico window films placed into service January 1, 2015 – December 31, 2016 may be eligible for a tax credit under Section 25C of the Internal Revenue Code.

The IRS allows homeowners to take a tax credit of 10% of the cost of solar control window film installed in their primary residence, with a lifetime maximum credit of $500 per taxpayer[1].

The tax credit is a direct dollar for dollar credit, or reduction, in the amount of taxes you must pay, not just a tax deduction from income. Only the cost of the film itself, and not the installation cost, qualifies for the credit. In order to qualify for the credit, the window film must be installed from January 1, 2015 through December 31, 2016 and must be certified by Madico to be an Eligible Building Component Envelope in your geographic area.

To take advantage of the tax credit, you must do the following:

Make sure the film you have installed qualifies for the credit. Qualifying products vary by the geographical climate zone in which you live.

1. Determine your climate zone

Climate Zone Map

2. Determine which window films qualify in your climate zone by glass type

Madico & Sunscape Films

Zone 1

Zone 2

Zone 3

Zones 4-8

Sun-Gard Films

Zone 1

Zone 2

Zone 3

Zones 4-8

Important Notes

  • In most cases, only windows, skylights and door windows with wood or vinyl frames qualify.
  • If unsure about glass type, use the more conservative value.
  • Safety film versions of solar control films also qualify.  For example, if RS-440 qualifies, RS-440 4mil and 8mil also qualify.
  • Window films qualify as insulation on IECC 2009 code.
  • Qualifications are based on IECC 2009 & amendments.
  • If you have specific questions about a glass/film combination’s eligibility, contact Madico Technical Services.

3. Download the Madico’s Manufacturer Certification here:

To receive the tax credit, consumers are required to submit IRS Form 5695 with their 2014 Income Tax Return. Retain your original film invoice illustrating the cost of the window film only and a copy of the product’s certification from Madico. They do not need to be submitted with your taxes, but should be kept for your records.

Consumers should use the 2014 version IRS Form 5695 when submitting their taxes. The window film credits fall under “insulation” in the Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency program. For more information visit the Energy Star web page for Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency.

[i] Subject to a $500 maximum per homeowner for all improvements combined; i.e. all energy improvements made by the homeowner except for geothermal heat pumps, solar water heaters, solar panels, fuel cells and small wind energy systems. See your tax professional for details and rules outlining rules and limitations to code.


Comments are closed.